Mission and Values
The United Way of Santa Cruz County’s mission is to mobilize our county’s residents to create opportunities for a good life for all.
We are an organization of community based volunteers, and we carry out our mission guided by the following principles:
- Excellence. We are accountable to the Santa Cruz County community for excellence in our practices. This accountability is assured by the community volunteers who direct every aspect of our activities. The community services we support are carefully chosen based on the urgency of the needs they serve, the high quality of their programs, and the cost-effectiveness of their operations. We commit to our donors that their donations are being directed in accordance with their wishes.
- Empowerment. We support human services that empower people to retain their dignity and self-sufficiency.
- Leadership. We lead the people of the county in identifying needs and responding creatively and effectively with solutions. We ensure that efforts are not duplicated or resources wasted. We educate the community to be aware of human needs as they emerge and of the opportunity to bring solutions to them.
- Equal Opportunity. We celebrate the diversity of Santa Cruz County and are committed to equal opportunity for all and the elimination of injustice, prejudice or indifference that denies or delays its attainment.
- Partnership. We base our relationships on the principles of openness, honesty and mutual respect. We are partners with our partner programs, our donors and the community in bringing help and comfort to our neighbors in need.
To achieve our mission we work toward the fulfillment of these goals: