211 Economic Impact Payment Helpline

Payment Helpline











Need Assistance?

United Way’s 211 Economic Impact Payment Helpline is available to answer your questions and help you file your information with the IRS to receive your stimulus payment. Contact the 211 Economic Impact Payment Helpline +1 844 322 3639. for assistance. IRS-certified volunteers are also available at www.getyourrefund.org/211-stimulus to provide free assistance filing your paperwork with the IRS to get your stimulus payment. Interpreters are available to provide assistance in any language.

If you haven't received your Economic Impact Payment yet, you may need to take action to get it.

The CARES Act that Congress passed in March is providing immediate financial relief to millions of Americans to help manage the impacts of the COVID-19 health and economic crisis. Most individuals will receive up to a $1,200 Economic Impact Payment from the IRS, with married couples receiving up to $2,400. People with children are eligible to receive an additional $500 per child*. 

Who is eligible?

U.S. citizens and U.S. resident aliens will receive the Economic Impact Payment if they are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work-eligible Social Security number with adjusted gross income up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns, $112,500 for head of household filers and $75,000 for all other eligible individuals. Individuals with adjusted gross incomes of more than these amounts (up to $198,000 for married couples, $136,500 for heads of households, or $99,000 for individuals) will receive a smaller payment. 

Individuals are not eligible and will not receive a payment if: 

  • They can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return (i.e. a child)
  • They do not have a Social Security number valid for employment
  • They are a nonresident alien
  • They filed a Form 1040-NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040-PR or Form 1040-SS for 2019.
  • They are an incarcerated or deceased individual

Most people have already received their Economic Impact Payments by check, prepaid debit card, or direct deposit into the bank account used for federal benefits like Social Security or where your last tax return was deposited. If you have not yet received your stimulus payment, it could be because you need to provide information to the IRS: 

  • If you filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return and/or are a Social Security recipient, but have not yet received your payment, use the IRS’ Get My Payment tool to check on the status of your Payment, update your address or update your banking information.
  • If you did not file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 and do not need to, you need to complete the IRS Non-Filer Form to receive your payment. For more information about who should complete this form, what questions are asked, and what to expect, review the IRS Non-Filer page here.

People who receive any of these benefits will receive their payment automatically and do not need to take any action: 

  • Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), or survivor benefits
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Veterans Affairs Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefits
  • Railroad Retirement (RRB) benefits.

*If you receive any of these benefits but have a qualifying dependent and do not usually file a tax return, you will need to file a tax return in 2020 to claim the $500 per qualifying dependent.

Received your payment?

Great! First, use your payment to purchase groceries and other household essentials. Next, pay past or upcoming bills such as rent, mortgage, utilities, insurance, and car payments. While many companies are waiving late fees to help people impacted by COVID-19, these bills will come due eventually. 

If your bills are paid and you don't have other urgent expenses to cover, consider using your payment to open or fund a personal savings account. Savings accounts earn interest, which means your payment will increase in value over time. If you don't already have a bank account, start here to compare options and read more about how to make the most of your savings.

For more help developing a personal financial plan, visit the United Way My Smart Money website.

Are you still struggling to make ends meet? Millions of Americans are, you are not alone. Contact your local 211 by dialing 211 from a cellphone or landline, or using the search at the top of this page to find your local 211 website, to speak to someone who can help. 211 is a vital service that connects millions of people to available resources and services every year, including financial assistance, free food options, and low-cost healthcare. 

Be careful of potential scams!

Neither the United Way nor the IRS will ever request verification of personal and/or banking information saying that the information is needed to receive or speed up their economic impact payment by phone, email, text, or social media. The IRS will never threaten to cancel or suspend your Social Security number 

The IRS does not initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text message, or social media.

If you receive a call from a caller stating to be with the IRS but are concerned it might be a scam, hang up and call the IRS directly at 800-829-1040.